Thursday, January 3, 2013

If You Really Want To Know...



A week or so ago I recieved a comment on my blog from "Ben" who asked:
       
"How do you see blogging about Jeremy and Vee's relationship for the last several months different from "a creepy 'marriage of 3'"? Because, as an outside observer, it seems pretty creepy.
Also, I've been reading Vee's blog. She writes about Jeremy constantly. It's basically Jeremy, Jeremy, Jeremy, and oh-yeah-here's-Steve-honoring-Jeremy's-memory. Even your own blog is pretty much equal parts Vee/Jeremy and Steve/Jeremy. Just based on what I've read, and Vee's comment above notwithstanding, your own personal identity is being subsumed by the specter of her ex-husband. You even went to the Jeremy King Memorial Pheasant Hunt. It's like you are basking in the reflected love from her memories of him.

You are definitely a bigger person than I, Steve. Were I you, a little piece of me would die everytime I heard Jeremy's name. At what point does being supportive of the grief Vee is going through become indistinct from being buried beneath the weight of Jeremy's memory?

How is your relationship different from any other rebound? From what I read, and obviously I don't know the whole story, your romance rapidly escalated from dating to engagement to marriage. Isn't it a bit premature to be thinking about writing a book about loving in the aftermath of tragedy? It's like you two survived the shipwreck and just washed up on the shore of a deserted island a few days ago. If you're still alive in ten years that's a story I'd like to hear about. But if you are fighting this hard for survival right now, what are you going to do when the coconuts run out?"

While my guess is that "Ben" is not as much concerned about 'how to love a widow,' I do think some of these questions may be valid to answer for readers who might be sceptical that a healthy relationship can not only be fostered but can also thrive in the aftermath of death and divorce.  So, Ben, this one is for you.

"How do you see blogging about Jeremy and Vee's relationship for the last several months different from "a creepy 'marriage of 3'"? Because, as an outside observer, it seems pretty creepy."

First, I must say you are correct... you are an "outside observer."  While Vee and I try to be transparent about the things we both write on our blogs, grief is a very, very small percent of what our actual relationship looks like.  Our life looks very similar to many newlywed couples... well, newlyweds that have 5 kids, of course.  We love to spend time together, laugh with one another, go on dates, watch movies, have friends over, relax together on the couch at night, play games with each other, be romatic, read books together, try new restraunts, go to new places, and travel.... oh yeah, raise our 5 children.  You don't see us writing about those pieces of our relationship because that is not the purpose of either of our blogs. 

While Vee and I were dating we noticed that there were not really any resources for people who were dating or marrying a widow.  This blog is designed for a very specific purpose, to be a resource for people who are dating or married to a widow(er).  If you want to know about how many times Vee and I go on dates, cuddle up on the couch, or laugh together... this blog is not for you (and, I may have to call the cops because at that point YOU might be the creepy one).  However if you want a honest look at a specific topic of loving a widow, well then, I have a blog for you!

In addition, Vee's blog reaches out to another very specific community: those who are widowed.  She has a ministry opportunity to serve those people by helping them understand that the ways they think and feel are normal.  She doesn't write on her blog about our love life, or how we raise our children, or how we spend our free time because her audience is specific to grief and her mission is specific to helping those in grief.

I am sure that it can seem as though all we talk about is grief if all you do is read our blogs (which are geared toward those in grief) but if you knew us, which you don't, then you would know that nothing is further from the truth... therefore the comment about a "creepy marraige of three" is nothing but laughable to both Vee and I.  Is our relationship influenced by our past... absolutely! Is our life and relationship rooted in grief... not even close.


"Also, I've been reading Vee's blog. She writes about Jeremy constantly. It's basically Jeremy, Jeremy, Jeremy, and oh-yeah-here's-Steve-honoring-Jeremy's-memory. Even your own blog is pretty much equal parts Vee/Jeremy and Steve/Jeremy. Just based on what I've read, and Vee's comment above notwithstanding, your own personal identity is being subsumed by the specter of her ex-husband. You even went to the Jeremy King Memorial Pheasant Hunt. It's like you are basking in the reflected love from her memories of him."

You get a "gold-star" for being observant! You're right, Vee's blog is about grief and so is mine... its pretty much all we talk about on these two blogs and kinda why we targeted it towards widow(er)s and those dating or married to a widow(er).  If your looking for blogs about home repairs, DIY, baking, or sex... well...  I don't know how to tell you this, but you have come to the wrong spot. 

As far as going to the Jeremy King Memorial Hunt, you're right... I did go.  I went not only to support my wife but to support my kids (Faith, Caleb, and Carter) in remembering their daddy.  I will never apologize or back away from supporting my family, ever!  This does not mean that I 'bask in the reflected love of Jeremy.'  It does mean that I: 1) have a heart, 2) love my family, 3) am willing to walk beside them throughout all of lifes journeys... not just the ones that make me feel good.  In addition, Jeremy was a friend of mine.  We weren't best friends but I knew him well enough to know the kind of guy he was and think that getting together with other people who respected and knew him as a person is a great opportunity.

I can assure you that there is no "basking in love" when it comes to grief.  It's painful.  It sucks.  And its very difficult to watch someone you love hurt.  Getting pleasure or love out of someone else's pain is sick, and I take serious offense that anyone would think that I revel in Vee's grief. However, I do love her in and through those moments.  When I married Vee I promised to love her in good and bad times, and I do!


"You are definitely a bigger person than I, Steve. Were I you, a little piece of me would die everytime I heard Jeremy's name. At what point does being supportive of the grief Vee is going through become indistinct from being buried beneath the weight of Jeremy's memory?" 

Ben, two words of advice... 1) don't ever marry a widow, and 2) if you ever think about marrying a widow, for the love of God please don't do it!

The truth is all relationships need to be selfless, not just those who are dating a widow(er).  If you can't be supportive of the other persons needs from time to time, then the relationship just won't work.  If the relationship is all about you, how you feel, what you want, and what feels good to you, my guess is that your relationship will be short lived. 

I have no concern with feeling "buried beneath the memories Jeremy" because while Vee wants to keep her memories of Jeremy close to her heart, she also is active in pursuing new memories with me, new traditions with me, new activities with me, new experiences with me, and new life and love with me.  

"How is your relationship different from any other rebound? From what I read, and obviously I don't know the whole story, your romance rapidly escalated from dating to engagement to marriage. Isn't it a bit premature to be thinking about writing a book about loving in the aftermath of tragedy? It's like you two survived the shipwreck and just washed up on the shore of a deserted island a few days ago. If you're still alive in ten years that's a story I'd like to hear about. But if you are fighting this hard for survival right now, what are you going to do when the coconuts run out?"

First, you have to realize that our relationship is far from a "rebound."  If Vee or I pursued the first person who asked us out, showed interest in us, or wanted to date us... that would be one thing, but the truth is both Vee and I had other people who pursued us prior to our relationship.  In the demise of my marriage I had been approached by a few women who wanted to pursue dating, but I had standards that were high and needed to find the right person that who could make me feel safe and loved.  After Jeremy died there were several guys who were trying to pursue Vee but none of them made her feel safe or who she could picture living out the rest of her life with.

It is true that our relationship progressed quickly but that is because neither of us were interested in playing games like the people who had pursued us.  We had already gone through so much, had children of our own, and there was too much a risk to be fake and put on a front.  We were open and honest about our past mistakes, our hurts, our dreams, our flaws, and what we wanted out of life.  Since we had already known each other and were friends prior to dating, the real question was whether we wanted more... and the answer was pretty obvious from the start.

It appears that you think we are "fighting hard for survival" but I am not sure where you get this idea... in fact, I would say just the opposite.  It takes an amazing amount of peace, love, and stability to write the kind of blogs that Vee and I write.  We have probably the most honest, romantic, loving relationship that I have ever witnessed.  Our marriage is not perfect and we disagree from time to time, but the amount of love and contentment that we have allows us to use these blogs as our ministry.  I feel that most marriages may not be strong enough to talk about the issues that we do, or be able to feel peace while being transparent like we can.  Vee and I both feel like it is a ministry and special calling to be able to reach out in this way and we have seen that our story has given people who are in the midst of tragedy a sense of hope, which is why we want to write about our story.  We realize our story does not relate to everyone.  You, Ben, may not want to hear or read our story... so I would encourage you to not read the book (or our blogs if you are bothered by them) ... or wait 10 years to read it if that will make a difference for you.  Either way, it makes no difference to me or Vee.

The truth is, Ben, there are thousands of widow(er)s who need to hear our story, who need to know that their thoughts and feelings of grief are normal, who want to know how to move forward while receiving permission to take with them precious memories from the past. There are thousands of widow(er)s who deserve to know that they can find love in the aftermath and that there is hope out there even when they don't think it's possible.  Additionally, there are going to be thousands more who God is preparing to love these widow(er)s.  They need to know that their feelings are valid and real, their thoughts and opinions matter too, and that being loved by someone who has been through loss can bring about the fullest and most intense love that one can find here on earth.

  
My guess, Ben, is that you are neither 1) a widower, or 2) dating a widow.  I hope I have answered some of your questions though and have given you insight into a world that you seem to not understand.  My hope for you Ben is that you are not like one of the random -insecure -unhappy -anonymous people that we occasionally get on our blogs who tries to "burst our bubble."  There have been some in the past and will certainly be more in the future.  My guess is that these folks must think that we value or serious take into consideration such attacks by anonymous people who don't really know us.  These people are not only sad... but sadly mistaken!

What they don't understand is that mine and Vee's happiness is rooted in God, nourished with love, secured with commitment,  strengthened through laughter, and blessed by a calling.  For every critical, unkind, and insensitive comment there are many, many more that reaffirm that what we are doing is valid and helpful.  And, as long as God gives us the outlet and ability we will share our love story with pride.



Steve              


 
 

14 comments:

  1. Oh my....you and Vee both have such a gift for reaching the hearts of so many with faith, hope, and love. Your words inspire and comfort. You both have been such a blessing to me. I have read Vee's blog since before my husband passed away 15 months ago, and you both continue to bless my heart and give me hope. "...happiness is rooted in God, nourished with love, secured with commitment, strengthened through laughter, and blessed by a calling" -- all I can say is AMEN and God bless you both and your family. Thank you for answering your calling and being faithful to that no matter the misconceptions. I have never, ever commented on any blog before, but I felt compelled to thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen brother! Love to you and Vee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone who has read your blog from the beginning understands that this is a blog about loving a widow. Clearly, part of that will be dealing with her emotions as a widow. We know that we're not going to read lovey-dovey kissy-face stuff here. Keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greatly sad Steve! You and Vee have something amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well said. Prayers that God continues blessing you, Vee and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have to agree with Ben, here....you ARE the bigger person. It takes a severely insecure person to be threatened by a dead man. Especially one who did nothing to deserve forgetting, and in fact, did so much to be remembered and honored. That's one of the MANY things I love about you - that you are man enough to carry the weight of my love for you both while understanding that there is no comparing the two of you. I love you both for so many reasons, and I couldn't have chosen a better man to spend the rest of my life with from this point forward. I know how special you are, and I'm so glad I had the privilege of finding you. So proud of you, baby, for standing up and shedding light into a dark and cynical world. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Son went to high school with Jeremy and I have had the priviledge to follow both your blogs, and your love story from the beginning while never meeting you face to face. You are both amazing people and have a knowledge of life well beyond your young years.
    Do not be set back by the "Bens" of this world. Steve, you graciously took the time to answer Ben, now please do not waste your time nor energy on any furure blogs like his. Keep doing what you are doing. You are blessed! Share your blessings...and May God continue to bless you both in this ministry and raising your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow. great answer. well written. keep up the good work. blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. by devoting such a large amount of written space to Ben's concerns, it kind of make you look like you are defending your situation. If you don't believe Ben's opinions have any merit, no defense is required. Just a thought. BTW, who's BEN? Where did he make this comment? Do you believe he's someone that you know? Vee made reference to negative comments rec'd on her blog and the worst part being that it was someone she knew. Is Ben someone that you know??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen! YOU ARE the BIGGER person! Love the last paragraph! Well said: What they don't understand is that mine and Vee's happiness is rooted in God, nourished with love, secured with commitment, strengthened through laughter, and blessed by a calling. For every critical, unkind, and insensitive comment there are many, many more that reaffirm that what we are doing is valid and helpful. And, as long as God gives us the outlet and ability we will share our love story with pride.

    Best to you, Vee and kids for a lifetime of love, health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been following Vee's blog for quite some time, and now yours. I think you couldn't have said it any better Steve. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what people around you think. You and Vee (and your kids) are the only things that matter and how you live your life and love each other is the only thing that's important. My favorite part of your post "Ben, two words of advice... 1) don't ever marry a widow, and 2) if you ever think about marrying a widow, for the love of God please don't do it!"

    Proof that it takes a special person and an amazing man to marry a widdow. You're my hero Steve :)



    ReplyDelete
  12. While Ben may come off as snide and rude, he does have a point about writing a book so soon. I agree with Ben that writing a book so soon after getting married/suffering the death of a spouse/coming off a divorce is a little premature especially considering it is a book giving advice on those situations.

    There will be struggles you all experience when the kids are teenagers, start asking more about their father, how you two deal with that, etc.

    But, with all that said, I hope I am not coming off as snide and rude. You guys appear to have great hearts, and you share your lives to help others in a way I just couldn't. I just married a widow, and I went through a nasty divorce like Steve. We don't have kids to deal with, but are focusing on creating our own stories/memories instead of telling our sad stories to each other and others. It takes people who are very secure in who they are to do the ministry you guys do.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments or questions!